Help! My kid thinks ashwagandha gummies are candy!
So I got these ashwagandha gummies to help with stress, right? They're in a bottle that looks kinda like a candy jar. My 5-year-old son found them on the counter and thought they were fruit snacks. He ate like 4 before I caught him! I freaked out and called poison control, but they said he'd be fine, just maybe a little sleepy. Now he keeps asking for 'more candy' and throws a tantrum when I say no. Anyone else dealt with this? How do you hide your supplements from kids? Also, he refuses to eat his actual fruit snacks now because they're 'not the same'. Ugh.
Oh man, that's rough! Glad your kid is okay. Ashwagandha is generally safe but in high doses can cause drowsiness or upset stomach. Definitely keep them out of reach. I use a lockbox for my supplements. Also, maybe try giving him some actual gummies that are kid-safe? There are kids' multivitamin gummies that look similar. But yeah, you gotta be careful. Kids are little ninjas when it comes to candy.
As a grandparent, I've seen this before. My daughter had the same issue with her kids and melatonin gummies. I'd suggest talking to your pediatrician about the ashwagandha, just to be safe. Also, maybe switch to capsules or powder that you can mix into a drink? Not as tasty but safer. And for the texture thing, have you tried different brands? Some are softer, some are more chewy. My grandson hated the chalky ones but liked the ones that are like fruit snacks. But then again, that's the problem, right? Good luck!
Yikes! I don't have kids, but I can imagine the struggle. From an eco-friendly perspective, those gummies often come in plastic bottles that aren't recyclable. Maybe switching to a brand that uses glass or compostable packaging would help? Also, you could try making your own gummies with ashwagandha powder and fruit juice? Then you control the shape and taste, and you can make them less candy-like. Just a thought. Stay strong!
Thanks for the advice, everyone! I talked to the pediatrician and she said to just watch him for a day, but he was fine. I'm definitely going to get a lockbox. And I'll look into those kids' gummies. The DIY idea sounds fun but maybe too much work for this exhausted mom. Appreciate the support!