My 4-year-old thinks my ashwagandha gummies are fruit snacks – help!

WaterWillow615September 10, 2026
W
WaterWillow615
Sep 10, 2026, 04:36 PM

So I’ve been taking these ashwagandha gummies for stress, right? They’re the berry flavor, look exactly like those Mott’s fruit snacks. I keep the bottle on the kitchen counter (dumb, I know). Yesterday I catch my 4yo with the bottle, cheeks stuffed like a chipmunk, yelling “MORE CANDY!” I freaked, called poison control (they said he’d be fine, just maybe sleepy), but now I’m paranoid. Any other parents deal with this? Do I need a lockbox for my supplements now??

G
GlowGigi966
Sep 10, 2026, 05:26 PM

Oh honey, been there. Retired nurse here – first, you did the right thing calling poison control. Ashwagandha isn’t toxic to kids in small amounts, but it can make them drowsy or give an upset stomach. The real issue is choking hazard and the sugar. My advice: get a small lockbox or a high shelf. Also, check the bottle – some gummies have melatonin mixed in, that’s when you really gotta worry. But don’t beat yourself up. My grandson once ate half a bottle of my calcium chews thinking they were Starburst. Kids are tiny raccoons.

P
PlantPat703
Sep 10, 2026, 07:30 PM

Not a parent but a broke college student who buys ashwagandha gummies in bulk. I legit had to stop buying the ones that taste like candy because I’d eat like 6 at a time and then wonder why I was napping through my 2pm lecture. If an adult can’t control themselves, a 4yo definitely can’t. Maybe switch to capsules? They’re not as tasty so no temptation. Or get a pill organizer that locks. Also, are those gummies expensive? Because if your kid eats them you’re basically losing $20 in one go lol.

W
WaterWillow615
Sep 10, 2026, 09:45 PM

Thanks guys. Yeah I checked, no melatonin, just ashwagandha and some cane sugar. He was fine, just took a long nap (which was kinda nice ngl). But I’m definitely getting a lockbox. And PlantPat – yes they were $18! Little monster ate like $5 worth. I’m switching to capsules after this bottle. Lesson learned.

G
GlowGigi966
Sep 10, 2026, 08:32 PM

Glad he’s okay! And don’t feel bad about the nap – we call that a “happy accident” in nursing. Just keep an eye on him for any tummy aches. Also, pro tip: if you ever want a gummy that doesn’t look like candy, there’s a brand that makes them in weird shapes like stars and moons, still tasty but less appealing to toddlers. Or just hide them in the broccoli drawer. No kid ever goes in there voluntarily. 😂