My ashwagandha gummies turned dark & hard - still safe?

PlantPat31September 15, 2026
P
PlantPat31
Sep 15, 2026, 06:27 PM

So I got these ashwagandha gummies from Amazon like 2 months ago. They were soft and orange when I first opened them. Now they're dark brown, kinda hard, and some are stuck together in a clump. I left the bottle in my car for a few days (oops) and it's been hot. Are they still safe to eat? I don't wanna waste them but also don't wanna get sick. TIA!

M
MangoMia219
Sep 15, 2026, 08:05 PM

Oh no, that sounds like heat damage for sure. Gummies can melt and then re-harden, and the color change is probably just oxidation or the sugar caramelizing. But honestly, if they were in a hot car, I'd toss them. The potency of ashwagandha might be compromised, and you could get stomach upset. Not worth it IMO. Next time store in a cool dark place!

N
NatureNancy262
Sep 15, 2026, 10:51 PM

I've had this happen with other gummy vitamins. Usually it's just sugar bloom or them getting sticky from humidity. But the dark color is a bit concerning. Could be mold? If they smell funky or have white spots, definitely bin them. Otherwise, you could try tasting a tiny piece but I'm not a doctor. When in doubt, throw it out! 😅

H
HolisticHolly840
Sep 15, 2026, 09:45 PM

I'm a yoga instructor and I've been using ashwagandha for years. Gummies are convenient but they do degrade faster than capsules. Heat and moisture are their enemies. If they changed color and texture that much, the active compounds might have broken down. You won't get the benefits and might get a tummy ache. I'd say compost them (if you compost) and get a fresh bottle. Also, consider switching to powder or capsules for better shelf stability. Namaste 🙏

P
PlantPat31
Sep 15, 2026, 09:19 PM

Thanks everyone! Yeah, I figured they were probably toast. I'll just chuck 'em. Lesson learned: don't leave gummies in the car. Appreciate the help!