Started taking magnesium for sleep, but my anxiety vanished?? Anyone else?

MindfulMilaSeptember 15, 2026
M
MindfulMila
Sep 15, 2026, 03:06 PM

So I've been dealing with pretty bad insomnia for months (thanks, anxiety). A friend recommended these gummy magnesium supplements for sleep. I started taking them about 2 weeks ago, and yeah, my sleep is a bit better... but the weirdest thing is my overall stress levels have dropped like crazy. I'm a yoga instructor so I'm pretty in tune with my body, and this feels different. Like a cloud lifted. I was expecting to just pass out easier, not become a Zen master lol. Has anyone else had a supplement do something totally different than what they bought it for?

S
SolarSam541
Sep 15, 2026, 05:07 PM

Funny you mention that. I'm a minimalist so I usually avoid pills, but my partner got these hair/skin/nail gummies. I stole a few for a couple weeks (don't tell) and my sleep was amazing. I didn't notice any hair changes, but I was out like a light. Probably the melatonin in them? Or maybe it's just the placebo effect of doing something nice for yourself. Either way, if it works, it works. Just don't end up with a cabinet full of half-used bottles like my ex.

N
NootropicNoah932
Sep 15, 2026, 07:14 PM

Dude, YES. I started taking a gummy with ashwagandha for recovery after CrossFit. Didn't help my soreness at all (still can't walk after leg day), but my mood is insane. I'm usually a stressed mess before competitions but now I'm chill af. I think a lot of these gummies have adaptogens or whatever that sneak up on you. Mila, check the label. If it's got L-theanine or ashwagandha, that's probably why your anxiety dipped. Magnesium alone can help too but the combo is magic. Just don't overdo it, I took double once and slept for 12 hours straight.

M
MindfulMila
Sep 15, 2026, 09:36 PM

Thanks Noah! I just checked the bottle. It's magnesium glycinate plus some chamomile and L-theanine. So yeah, that explains a lot. I guess I was so focused on the sleep aspect I didn't realize the other ingredients were doing heavy lifting for stress. SolarSam, I feel you on the minimalist thing. I'm trying not to buy every gummy I see now, but this one might be a staple. Also, 12 hours sounds like a dream, but I bet you missed your WOD lol.

S
SolarSam541
Sep 15, 2026, 11:18 PM

Haha, Mila, I'm glad you figured it out. And Noah, 12 hours is impressive but also terrifying. I'll stick to my one gummy. But seriously, it's wild how we buy one thing and get another benefit. Makes me wonder what else I'm missing. Maybe I'll try a probiotic for digestion and accidentally become a morning person? Anyway, thanks for the info, might grab that magnesium next time I'm at the store.