Elderberry gummies turned dark & hard – still safe?

ZestZack967September 13, 2026
Z
ZestZack967
Sep 13, 2026, 05:46 PM

Hey everyone, I bought a bottle of elderberry gummies about 6 months ago. They were dark purple and soft. Now they're almost black and hard as rocks, and some are stuck together. Did they go bad? Can I still eat them? I don't wanna waste them but also don't wanna get sick. Any advice?

T
TendonTom801
Sep 13, 2026, 06:55 PM

Honestly, if they changed color and texture that much, I'd toss them. Not worth the risk. I had some multivitamin gummies that got hard and I ate them anyway – ended up with a stomach ache. Not fun. Just buy a new bottle.

J
JuiceJenny836
Sep 13, 2026, 06:46 PM

Hey Zack! That sounds like sugar bloom or just moisture loss. Elderberry gummies often have fruit pectin and sugar that can crystallize. If they're just hard and stuck together, they might still be okay, but check for mold or a weird smell. If they smell off, bin them. Otherwise, you could try warming them slightly to soften, but I'd be cautious. When in doubt, throw it out! 🙏

M
MangoMia219
Sep 14, 2026, 12:04 AM

Omg this happened to my elderberry gummies last summer! They turned super dark and clumped. I emailed the company and they said it's normal due to heat/humidity and still safe if within expiration. But mine tasted kinda funky so I didn't risk it. I'd say if they're past the best by date or smell weird, don't eat. Otherwise, you do you boo. But maybe just get fresh ones for peace of mind. 💜

Z
ZestZack967
Sep 13, 2026, 07:38 PM

Thanks for the replies! They don't smell bad, just hard and dark. The expiration date is next month. I think I'll try one and see how I feel. If I survive, I'll let you know lol. But yeah, probably gonna buy new ones soon.