Elderberry study from 2023 - legit or big pharma shill?

CrystalCathy545September 16, 2026
C
CrystalCathy545
Sep 16, 2026, 12:05 PM

Hey guys, I came across this study (PMID: 37291456) about elderberry and immune function. It says elderberry can reduce cold duration by like 2 days. But I'm always skeptical of these 'miracle' berries. Anyone read it? Is it legit or just another biased study funded by supplement companies? I want to believe but I've been burned before. Here's the abstract: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/37291456/ What do you all think?

K
KetoKevin892
Sep 16, 2026, 01:25 PM

I glanced at it. The study is a randomized controlled trial, which is good, but the sample size is small (only 60 people). Also, the funding source is a supplement company that makes elderberry gummies. So yeah, take it with a grain of salt. That said, elderberry has been used for centuries in folk medicine, so there might be something to it. I'd say it's not totally bunk, but I wouldn't rely on it alone. Maybe combine with zinc and vitamin C.

F
FuelFrank
Sep 16, 2026, 03:19 PM

LOL, another 'superfood' study. I swear every week there's a new berry that's gonna save us all. I'm more of a tech guy, so I track my health with my Oura ring and WHOOP. Elderberry? Never noticed a difference. But hey, if you like the taste, go for it. Just don't expect it to be a magic bullet. Also, that PMID link looks like it's from 2023, so it's recent. But who funded it? That's always the question.

B
BerryBen622
Sep 16, 2026, 06:23 PM

I'm all about caffeine, but I'll chime in. Elderberry gummies are tasty, but I doubt they do much. I've taken them when I felt a cold coming on, and sometimes it helped, sometimes not. Placebo effect is strong. The study might be legit but I wouldn't change my whole routine based on one study. Also, check if it's peer-reviewed. If it's in a predatory journal, toss it. But if it's in a decent journal, maybe worth a look. Anyone got the full text?

C
CrystalCathy545
Sep 16, 2026, 09:01 PM

Thanks for the input, everyone! I think I'll try a small bottle and see. But yeah, I'm with you on the funding bias. Maybe I'll look for independent studies too. If anyone finds more, let me know!