New study on omega-3 gummies - legit or just Big Gummy propaganda?
Hey everyone, I stumbled on this study (PMID: 34567890) about omega-3 gummies and bioavailability. Basically they compared absorption of omega-3 from gummies vs softgels in healthy adults. Results showed gummies had significantly lower plasma EPA/DHA levels. But the study was funded by a softgel manufacturer... so I'm skeptical. What do you all think? Is this legit or biased? I've been taking omega-3 gummies for months and now I'm second-guessing. Link: [url]https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34567890/[/url]
I read that study too. The funding bias is real, but the methodology looks solid. They used a crossover design and measured plasma levels over 24h. Even if funded by softgel co, the data speaks. But here's the thing: not all gummies are created equal. Some use inferior forms like ethyl esters vs triglycerides. If you're gonna take gummies, look for ones with triglyceride form and maybe enteric coating. Also, dose matters - most gummies have like 100mg total omega-3, which is nothing compared to a 1000mg softgel. So yeah, gummies might be less effective, but if you take enough, it could still work. I DIY my own gummies with fish oil from capsules, way cheaper and I control the dose.
Honestly, why bother with gummies? Just take a spoonful of cod liver oil. Minimalist approach - no fillers, no sugar, no gelatin. I've been doing that for years and my bloodwork is perfect. Gummies are just candy with a hint of fish oil. Plus, most have added sugar or sugar alcohols that can mess with keto. If you're on keto, skip the gummies and get a good liquid or capsule. That study just confirms what I already knew. But if you like gummies, go for it, just don't expect miracles.
Oh man, this takes me back. I remember when omega-3 gummies first hit the market in the early 2000s. They were marketed as a way to get kids to take fish oil. My mom gave them to me and my siblings, and we loved them. But looking back, were they effective? Probably not. I think the nostalgia factor makes us overlook the science. That said, I still take a gummy omega-3 because I hate swallowing pills. The study is interesting, but I'd like to see a longer-term trial with actual health outcomes, not just plasma levels. Plasma levels are a surrogate marker. Does lower plasma actually mean worse health outcomes? Maybe, maybe not. I'll keep taking my gummies until I see a study that shows hard endpoints like heart attacks.
Thanks for the insights. I guess I'll finish my current bottle and then switch to a liquid or softgel. But I'm curious - has anyone here noticed any actual benefits from omega-3 gummies? Like improved mood or skin? I feel like it's placebo, but maybe not.