OMG do omega-3 gummies melt in a hot car?? TSA?? HELP
Hey everyone! I'm going on a road trip next week and then flying to a hiking spot. I take vegan omega-3 gummies daily (flaxseed based, no fishy stuff). But I'm worried they'll melt in the car or get confiscated by TSA. Anyone traveled with gummies before? Do they count as liquids? Should I put them in my carry-on or checked? Also any storage tips for hot climates? I don't wanna lose my supply lol. Thanks!!
TSA is usually chill with gummies. They're not liquids, so you're fine in carry-on. I've brought mine through security dozens of times. Just don't bring a giant Costco tub that looks suspicious. As for melting, yeah, they can get sticky if it's above 80F. I use a small cooler bag with an ice pack for road trips. For hiking, put them in a ziplock and keep them in your backpack's shady pocket. Also, check if your gummies have gelatin – vegan ones might be more heat-sensitive. Biohack tip: freeze them before you leave, they thaw slowly and stay firm longer.
Paleo dieter here. I used to take fish oil gummies but switched to cod liver oil capsules. But for travel, gummies are way easier. I've had them melt into a blob in my glovebox – total waste. Now I always pack them in a hard plastic pill organizer and keep it in my carry-on. TSA never blinked. One time a guy asked if they were edibles though, lol. Just be ready to explain. Also, if you're hiking, avoid leaving them in direct sun. Maybe get a tiny insulated pouch. And don't put them in checked luggage if you can help it – planes get hot on the tarmac.
Thanks guys! @VitalVince224 I'll try freezing them. @QuartzQuinn6 good call on the pill organizer. I'm flying Southwest so carry-on only. Do you think a soft cooler bag with a small ice pack will pass TSA? I heard ice packs need to be frozen solid or they count as liquid. Mine might be partially melted by the time I get to security.
If the ice pack is frozen solid, you're good. If it's slushy, they might toss it. Pro tip: use a gel pack that stays frozen longer, or just skip the ice pack and use a vacuum-insulated water bottle filled with ice – that's allowed as long as it's empty of liquid at security? Actually no, ice is fine but water isn't. Just freeze your gummies and put them in a thermos. They'll stay cool for hours. Or buy new ones at your destination if you're worried. But you got this!