Started magnesium powder for sleep, but my anxiety is GONE?? Anyone else?
So I've been a skeptic about supplements for years ngl. My sister kept pushing me to try this magnesium powder for sleep because I was up all night with racing thoughts. I caved and got the unflavored kind (no sugar). After about a week I did sleep better, but the WEIRDEST thing happened: my constant low-grade anxiety that I've had for like a decade just... quieted down? I'm not climbing the walls anymore. Is this a thing? Or am I placebo-ing myself?
Oh honey, that's not weird at all. Magnesium is one of the good ones. My grandma used to give us epsom salt baths for nerves before anyone called it 'magnesium.' The powder just gets it in you faster. I still brew a strong cup of chamomile tea with mine. What form are you taking? Citrate will clean you out if you overdo it, glycinate is gentler on the belly.
YES finally someone else! I started a magnesium/zinc powder for my skin (hormonal breakouts, ugh) and within 2 weeks my jawline cleared up BUT I also stopped clenching my teeth at night. I didn't even realize I was doing that until my dentist asked what changed. The sugar-free powders are tough to find but so worth it. Mila, check the label for maltodextrin—some 'unflavored' ones sneak it in.
Thanks guys. Tina, I'm pretty sure it's magnesium glycinate. Rose, I'll double check the label when I get home. I guess I'm just shocked because I've tried SSRIs and therapy and never felt this steady. My husband says I seem 'less like a tightly wound spring.' I'll take it lol.
Mila that's wonderful. Just remember more isn't always better. Stick to the dose on the tub and give it a full month. And keep us posted on that label hunt!