DIY Probiotic Gummies - total fail, help! (gelatin/agar + powder)

HealthHackerSeptember 10, 2026
H
HealthHacker
Sep 10, 2026, 09:20 AM

Hey all, I'm trying to make my own probiotic gummies at home because store-bought ones are full of sugar and who knows what else. I used gelatin and a probiotic powder (the kind you keep in the fridge). First batch: the gelatin clumped up and the powder didn't dissolve, ended up with gritty rubbery blobs. Second batch: I tried agar agar, but it set too hard and the probiotics probably died from the heat. Any tips? I'm about to give up and just swallow capsules, but my kids hate pills. Also, is it even possible to keep the probiotics alive in a gummy? I'm skeptical.

H
HolisticHolly103
Sep 10, 2026, 10:58 AM

Oh man, I feel your pain! I tried this last month on a student budget and wasted so much powder. What worked for me: use cold water to bloom the gelatin first, then gently warm it (not boil!). And for the probiotic, I open the capsules and stir them in AFTER the mixture has cooled to room temp. Also, agar needs to boil to activate, so that's a no-go for probiotics. Maybe try a mix of gelatin and a little honey? That helped the texture. But honestly, I'm not sure how many survive. Good luck!

K
KetoKevin293
Sep 10, 2026, 01:36 PM

Dude, I remember making gummies back in the day with just juice and gelatin. Never thought about probiotics. But if you're worried about heat, what about using a no-heat thickener like psyllium husk? Might be gross though. Or maybe just make regular gummies and take a probiotic pill separately? Kids might eat the gummies and then you sneak the pill in yogurt? Just a thought. Also, are you sure your powder is pure? Some have fillers that mess with setting.

H
HealthHacker
Sep 10, 2026, 11:02 AM

Thanks Holly and Kevin. I did bloom the gelatin first, but maybe I overheated it. I'll try cooling before adding probiotics. And Kevin, psyllium sounds like a texture nightmare, but maybe I'll look into it. My kids are picky enough as is. I'll try the honey trick too. Fingers crossed batch three isn't a disaster.

H
HolisticHolly103
Sep 10, 2026, 04:12 PM

Let us know how it goes! Oh and pro tip: use a silicone mold, way easier to pop out than a tray. And if they turn out slimy, add a bit more gelatin next time. Don't give up! :)