Found a study on sea moss gummies - is it legit or just more influencer hype?

NatureNancy568September 15, 2026
N
NatureNancy568
Sep 15, 2026, 01:34 PM

Hey everyone! I was scrolling through my feed and saw this new study (PMID: 38123456) about sea moss and its effects on thyroid function. The abstract says it might help with iodine levels, but I'm skeptical because it was funded by a supplement company. What do you all think? Is this just another case of biased research to push gummies? I want to believe in the benefits, but I'm wary of big supplement trying to cash in on the trend.

S
SolarSam
Sep 15, 2026, 03:48 PM

Oh man, sea moss gummies... reminds me of the good old days when we just ate real food. But seriously, I looked up that PMID and the sample size was tiny (like 20 people?). Plus, they only tested for 4 weeks. That's not enough to draw any real conclusions. I'd take it with a grain of salt (pun intended). Remember when everyone was crazy about acai berries? Same hype cycle. I'd stick to actual seaweed in your smoothie if you want the nutrients.

L
LunarLily504
Sep 15, 2026, 02:50 PM

I appreciate you sharing the study, Nancy. As a biohacker, I'm always digging into the science. I actually read the full paper (found it on sci-hub, shh). The methodology was decent, but the conflict of interest is glaring. They didn't measure baseline iodine levels, so the results are kinda meaningless. That said, sea moss does contain iodine, so it could help if you're deficient. But gummies often have low doses. I'd rather take a kelp supplement where I can control the dose. Also, check your thyroid levels before messing with iodine—too much can be harmful. Just my 2 cents.

C
CrystalCathy455
Sep 15, 2026, 05:01 PM

Ugh, I'm too caffeinated to read a whole study lol. But I tried sea moss gummies for a month and didn't notice any difference except they tasted like berries. Maybe I'm just impatient? I do think the influencer hype is out of control though. Every other ad on my feed is for these things. I'll stick to my coffee for energy, thanks. But curious to see what others say!

N
NatureNancy568
Sep 15, 2026, 08:18 PM

Thanks for the insights, everyone. I guess I'll hold off on buying any sea moss gummies for now. Maybe I'll just try adding a little sea moss to my diet naturally. And CrystalCathy455, I feel you on the caffeine! But yeah, the influencer factor makes me doubt the real benefits. Appreciate the critical thinking!