Can I mix Super Green Gummies with my morning coffee?? kinda scared lol
Hey everyone, new here but been lurking for a bit. I picked up a bottle of those Super Green Gummies from the health food store last week (the ones with spirulina, chlorella, all that good stuff). I usually take them with breakfast but I'm a total coffee fiend and I'm wondering if I can just take them WITH my coffee instead? Like, same time. I'm worried the caffeine might cancel out the greens or something? I know that sounds dumb lol but I remember reading somewhere that coffee blocks nutrient absorption. Anybody tried this? I don't wanna waste $30 on fancy gummies if my coffee is just gonna nuke them. Thanks in advance!
Not dumb at all, it's actually a legit question. Coffee (specifically tannins and polyphenols) CAN inhibit absorption of certain minerals like iron and calcium, but we're talking whole-food or standalone supplements here, not gummies with a bunch of binders. With Super Green Gummies you're getting a pretty low dose of actual greens anyway (check the label, most of these are 500mg-1g max of the blend). So the interaction is negligible. That said, if you're taking them for the chlorophyll or the 'detox' angle, caffeine is a diuretic and might make you pee out some water-soluble vitamins faster. My advice: take the gummies 20-30 min after coffee, or just take them with food. Keep it simple. Also, pro tip: take them with a fat source (yogurt, eggs) because the fat-soluble vitamins in those greens need it. Biohacker out.
I travel a lot for work so I've literally taken Super Green Gummies with every possible beverage lol. Coffee, tea, protein shakes, even beer once (don't judge). Never had a problem. Honestly I think the bigger issue is the gummies themselves - a lot of them are just candy with a dusting of spinach powder. If you want real greens, get a powder. But if you already bought them, yeah just take them whenever. I usually do coffee + gummies at 7am, then I'm on a call by 8. No explosions so far. One thing though - check if yours have any stimulants added, some 'super green' blends sneak in green tea extract or guarana and then stacking with coffee can make you jittery. Read the label.
Okay these replies are super helpful, thanks guys. I just checked the label and it says 'proprietary green blend 800mg' and then lists a bunch of stuff but also has 'organic matcha powder' in the ingredients? Does that count as a stimulant? I didn't even notice that. Now I'm worried I've been double-caffeinating myself all week lol. I've been sleeping kinda crappy actually... maybe that's why? PurePete291 you seem like you know the science, should I switch to taking them at night instead?
Matcha in a gummy is usually a tiny amount, but yeah, if it's listed before the preservatives it could be a few hundred mg. Combined with your morning coffee that's a mild stack. Could definitely mess with sleep if you're sensitive. I'd move them to lunchtime or right after work. Not night though - greens can be mildly energizing for some people. And don't stress about 'wasting' them, your body will still use the vitamins even if absorption is slightly reduced. Just don't take them on an empty stomach with a triple espresso and expect to feel like a zen monk lol. Trial and error, my friend.