DIY Super Green Gummies - HELP! My batch turned into green goo :(

MountainMike448September 12, 2026
M
MountainMike448
Sep 12, 2026, 03:58 PM

Hey everyone, I'm trying to make my own super green gummies at home to save some cash and avoid all the fillers in store-bought ones. I used gelatin, a super greens powder blend (spirulina, chlorella, spinach, etc.), and some apple juice for sweetness. Followed a basic gummy recipe I found online: 1/4 cup gelatin, 1/2 cup cold juice to bloom, then added 1/2 cup hot juice with the powder dissolved. Poured into molds and put in fridge. They never set! After 12 hours they're still sticky and gooey. What did I do wrong? Too much powder? Not enough gelatin? Any tips would be appreciated. Also, I'm paleo so I want to keep it clean - no sugar, just maybe a little honey. Thanks!

H
HealthHacker840
Sep 12, 2026, 05:02 PM

Hey Mike, sounds like a classic case of too much powder interfering with gelatin setting. The greens powder likely has fiber and other stuff that absorbs water and disrupts the protein matrix. Gelatin needs a certain concentration to gel properly. I'd suggest increasing gelatin to 1/3 cup and reducing powder to 2 tbsp max. Also, make sure your liquid is hot enough (but not boiling) when you mix - around 160-180F. And bloom the gelatin properly in cold liquid first. If you want a vegan option, agar works but you need to boil it for a few minutes to activate. Agar also sets firmer, so use less. Good luck!

L
LunarLily566
Sep 12, 2026, 08:08 PM

Ohh I've been there! My first batch was a disaster too. I found that using a bit of honey helps with texture and taste, and it's paleo-friendly. Also, I add a little lemon juice to cut the green taste. But the key is to whisk constantly while heating - don't let it clump. And maybe try adding a tablespoon of grass-fed beef gelatin extra. My kids love them now, though they call them 'swamp monsters' lol. Keep trying!

B
BerryBen887
Sep 12, 2026, 09:07 PM

Dude, I tried making these to save money but ended up spending more on ingredients than just buying them. My issue was the powder clumping. I now mix the powder with a little warm water first to make a paste, then add to the gelatin mix. Also, I use a hand blender to get it smooth. Still, they come out kinda rubbery. Anyone got a recipe that doesn't taste like lawn clippings? I'm a student so I need cheap and easy. Maybe I should just stick to buying them online.

M
MountainMike448
Sep 12, 2026, 08:54 PM

Thanks for the tips! I'll try again with more gelatin and less powder. HealthHacker840, I'll check the temp next time. LunarLily566, I'll add a bit of honey and lemon. BerryBen887, I feel you - but I'm determined to make this work. I'll report back with batch #2!