DIY vitamin C gummies fail – need help with gelatin/agar ratios!

PurePete704September 9, 2026
P
PurePete704
Sep 9, 2026, 08:00 AM

So I'm trying to make my own Emergen-C style gummies at home. Got some vitamin C powder (ascorbic acid), B complex powder, and gelatin. First batch was a disaster – they turned into a sticky goo that never set. I used 1 tbsp gelatin per cup of liquid but maybe too much vit C? Anyone have a reliable recipe? I'm aiming for 750mg per gummy but also don't want to OD on gelatin. Also, can I use agar for a vegan version? Help a biohacker out!

H
HubermanHopeful239
Sep 9, 2026, 08:30 AM

Hey Pete, I've been down this rabbit hole. Night shift worker here, so I rely on these for immunity. Pro tip: vitamin C (ascorbic acid) can inhibit gelatin setting if you add too much. I usually dissolve gelatin first in warm water, then add the vitamin C after it's off the heat. Also, add a bit of honey or agave as a humectant. For 750mg per gummy, you need to calculate total powder per batch. I use a silicone mold and make 30 gummies, so I add 22.5g of vit C total. Works like a charm. But careful with B vitamins – too much niacin can cause flushing. Start low.

N
NatureNancy568
Sep 9, 2026, 09:00 AM

Agar works but it's tricky! It sets firmer than gelatin and can be gritty if you don't boil it enough. I'm vegan so I've experimented a lot. Use 1 tsp agar powder per cup of liquid, boil for 2 mins, then add your vitamin powders off heat. But note: agar gummies tend to sweat in the fridge. Also, vitamin C is heat-sensitive, so add it after the mixture cools to about 50°C. And please, don't use gelatin – it's made from animal bones. There are plenty of plant-based options like pectin too. Good luck!

G
GreenGreg47
Sep 9, 2026, 09:30 AM

Bro, why not just buy the Emergen-C gummies? I get the 45-count bottle and it's way easier. But if you're set on DIY, I've had success with gelatin from grass-fed cows. Key is to bloom the gelatin in cold water first, then melt. And don't forget to add some citric acid for tartness – it also helps with preservation. I throw in a scoop of BCAA powder for recovery, but that's just me. Crossfit life! Also, if your batch failed, try adding a bit more gelatin next time. And yeah, B vitamins can taste nasty, so mask with strong flavors like orange or raspberry.

P
PurePete704
Sep 9, 2026, 10:00 AM

Thanks everyone! I'll try the agar route since I have some on hand. Nancy, how do you prevent the sweating? And Greg, I'll check the store-bought ones but I'm on a biohacking kick so I want to control the dose. Huber, I'll reduce the vit C and add it later. Will report back with results!