OLLY prenatal gummies turned dark & hard - still safe??
Hey all, I've been taking OLLY Essential Prenatal Gummy Multivitamin (Citrus Berry) for about 6 months. My last bottle (84 count) started off normal, but now the gummies are darker, hard, and some are stuck together. I've kept them in the pantry, but it's been hot lately. Are they still safe to eat? I don't want to waste them but also don't want to risk anything. TIA!
Oh man, that happens to me with gummies all the time! Usually it's just sugar bloom or them melting a bit in the heat. As long as there's no mold or weird smell, they're probably fine. But since it's prenatal, I'd be extra careful. Maybe call OLLY customer service? They might send you a coupon. Also, try storing them in the fridge next time - keeps them from getting sticky.
I'm a bit of a biohacker and I've looked into this. Gummies can degrade, especially omega-3 DHA - it oxidizes and goes rancid. If they smell fishy or like crayons, toss 'em. The color change could be oxidation of the oils or just the natural colors fading. But for a prenatal, you don't want to mess with expired or degraded vitamins. Check the lot number and expiration date. If it's close, just buy new. Not worth the risk for you or baby.
I've had this exact issue with OLLY prenatals. I contacted the company and they said it's safe but might not be as effective. They sent me a replacement bottle. I'd say if they're hard as rocks, just chuck 'em. You can also try chewing them with water, but if they're sticking together, it's probably humidity. I keep mine in a cool dark cabinet now. Better safe than sorry, especially with prenatals.
Thanks for the advice everyone! I think I'll call OLLY and see what they say. I did notice a slight smell, so I might just toss them. Better to be safe. Appreciate the help!