Traveling with OLLY Kids Gummies – Will They Melt? TSA? Help!
Hey everyone! I'm going on a road trip next week and then flying to see family. I want to bring my kids' OLLY multivitamin gummies (the berry ones) but I'm worried about them melting in the car or getting confiscated by TSA. Any tips? Also, do they need to be refrigerated? Thanks!
So, gummies are basically gelatin + sugar + vitamins. Melting point of gelatin is around 95°F (35°C), so if your car gets hotter than that (which it will in summer), they'll turn into a sticky mess. TSA: they're not liquids, so you're fine in carry-on. But if they're in a big container, they might flag it as 'powder-like'? No, actually, they're solid. Just keep them in original packaging. For storage, cool dry place is best. If you're hiking, maybe put them in a small cooler bag? But not necessary unless it's really hot.
I've traveled with these exact gummies! TSA didn't even blink. I just threw the bottle in my carry-on. For road trips, I put them in the glove compartment and they got a little soft but didn't melt completely. I'd suggest keeping them in your hotel room (AC) rather than the car. Also, check the expiry date – if they're old, they might be more prone to melting. And no, you don't need to refrigerate, but if you do, they get hard and chewy. Not a big deal.
As a paleo dieter, I'm side-eyeing the sugar in these, but for travel, I'd say transfer them to a silicone bag or something? Actually, TSA allows solid foods. But if you're hiking, the heat and humidity might make them clump. I've had that happen with other gummies. Maybe freeze them before the trip? That could help. But then they might sweat. Ugh, just keep them out of direct sun and you'll be fine.
Just to add: the optimal storage temp for gummies is typically below 77°F (25°C). If you're in a hot climate, consider a small insulated lunch bag with a cool pack, but make sure they don't get too cold either – freezing can make them brittle. Also, TSA: if you're bringing more than 3.4 oz of liquid, that's an issue, but gummies are solid. You're good. Safe travels!